No announcement yet.

Share a Great Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sun, My Heart by Thich Nhat Hahn, who is a prolific Vientnamese Buddhist monk who was exiled from Vietnam during the Vietnamese war. I believe the reason was because he went to the USA to travel town to town to show and teach the American people that the Vietnamese War was unjust. Although I may be simplifying that.

This book literally travels everywhere with me. From distant rainforests to being sat at Scunthope bus station I have found myself reading extracts and stories from this. It is like a companion and the author invites you to welcome it into your life as such. It is his follow-up to the wonderful The Miracle of Mindfulness and he simply uses simple stories and accounts of his life at Plum Village to teach about mindfulness and meditation in a welcoming, simple and intellectual way. Miracle of Mindfulness is maybe his most popular book, but there's something special about this one thats makes it unforgetable for me.

Comment

• chriscrudelli
      chriscrudelli commented
      Editing a comment
      Great recommendation Jon, thanks, he’s a great author who literally lives his talk. Inspirational

????Yes sifu there are audio psalm and stories from the Bible of the website bible gateway

Comment

Martial arts related I enjoyed reading B K. Frantzis's The power of internal martial arts. I'd recommend the book on that fact it is well referenced and pretty thorough in sections. Although Frantzis is predominantly Bagua zhang it seems a good reference source on internal styles in general.

If anyone has a lot of time on their hands the Golden Bough by Sir James Frazier on the cultural / ethnic parallels regarding myths / superstitions, practical magic and religious ritual. It's of its time to a degree (1890s - 1915) but intense.

Shooting the big fish by David Lynch on meditation and creativity. Some good anecdotes on apply meditation in daily life without being esoteric. A lot lighter read than the Golden Bough Bough.

Comment

[I]The Sun, My Heart[/I] by Thich Nhat Hanh is indeed a remarkable book, especially considering the profound background of the author. Thich Nhat Hanh's journey, particularly his efforts to promote peace and mindfulness during the Vietnam War, adds significant depth to his teachings. Your description captures the essence of how this book serves as a constant companion, providing comfort and wisdom wherever you go, whether in remote rainforests or a bus station.

What stands out in this book is Thich Nhat Hanh's ability to present complex ideas about mindfulness and meditation through simple stories and personal experiences from his life at Plum Village. This approachable style makes it accessible to readers at any level of familiarity with these concepts. It’s fascinating how you feel there’s something special about this book that makes it unforgettable, perhaps due to its personal resonance or the way it invites you to integrate mindfulness into your everyday life.

It's wonderful that you've found a book that not only travels with you but also enriches your experiences. Such connections to literature can profoundly impact how we view our surroundings and approach life. Have you found any particular stories or teachings from the book that resonate with you the most?
        ​

Comment

Working...
        X